One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of leaving employment before the statutory age, especially on favorable financial terms.
- ‘Hundt also demanded a higher deduction for pensioners who take early retirement.’
- ‘After he took early retirement, Leroy looked into financial advising as a new career.’
- ‘By 1945 Princeton gave him early retirement in his own best interests.’
- ‘After Sarah's health worsened she decided to take early retirement.’
- ‘Sadly, for many of these people, early retirement is little more than a pipe dream.’
- ‘Layoffs and early retirement have forced many workers to start their own businesses.’
- ‘There has been a wave of early retirement among older teachers over the past five to seven years.’
- ‘Sue was later joined by colleagues for a party to toast her early retirement after more than 21 years in the rail industry.’
- ‘He had now embarked on a career which was to be his profession until he took early retirement in recent times.’
- ‘Shortly afterwards a more senior executive also used the merger as an excuse to force early retirement upon the manager.’
- ‘The previous government curbed opposition to job losses by using early retirement.’
- ‘Why should the rest of us pay for public employees to take early retirement and guaranteed pensions funded partly by public money.’
- ‘Some of those who did not want to move were given the expensive option of early retirement.’
- ‘Becoming a father later in life has meant that early retirement is not an option financially.’
- ‘I never take out loans as I have taken early retirement and never intend working again.’
- ‘The meeting is intended to explore the practicalities and planning of early retirement.’
- ‘The majority of this de-layering was achieved through early retirement or voluntary redundancies.’
- ‘Conditions are so bad that many GPs are considering early retirement or trying to find alternative employment.’
- ‘Reality is that, through financial necessity, early retirement is not an option.’
- ‘People are living longer, and flexible pension arrangements mean that early retirement is more often a possibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.