One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Medieval, Renaissance, and early baroque music, especially as revived and played on period instruments.
- ‘Britain's foremost celebration of early music, York Early Music Festival, is celebrating 600 years of the musical traditions of England and York from today until July 13.’
- ‘It is also considered disruptive to clap individual songs or short instrumental pieces rather than at the end of each group at lieder recitals or early music concerts.’
- ‘If you enjoy early music, this new CD is a don't miss proposition.’
- ‘On the other hand, the director did opt for authentic Jacobean clothing and a band of specialised early music theatre musicians.’
- ‘The English conductor and early music specialist offers a reading of blistering psychological intensity and first-rate musical integrity.’
- ‘The response of professional early music groups to the questions raised has taken two broad directions.’
- ‘Musicology has now long provided a sophisticated research tool, and the amount of early music plucked from obscurity and subjected to expert scrutiny grows continuously.’
- ‘Based in Amsterdam, The Fortuna Consort is an early music group exploring renaissance consort music in the form of recorder trio and lute.’
- ‘At this point a comparison between the original facsimile score and any of the modern transcriptions would shed light on issues of editing early music.’
- ‘The open-ended nature of early music perfectly suits Giger's style, which is essentially thoughtful, exploratory, challenging, and mysterious.’
- ‘I would prefer the more opulent, intense and intonationally varied vocalism of early music singers.’
- ‘The a cappella choir, which usually has around 24 members, performs early music at two major concerts and at numerous other events throughout the year.’
- ‘He has performed with many of the leading instrumentalists and ensembles of early music, and has been involved in a great many recordings of note.’
- ‘As an organist, Bach has always been fundamental and, I am keenly drawn to him and to early music as well.’
- ‘The seminal role played by the availability of good editions in the revival of early music could not be more apparent than in the case of Boyce.’
- ‘So I would have festivals within the festival, centred around jazz, or early music, or world music.’
- ‘Several of these specialize in early music, an area with small but intense support relative to the rest of the classical music scene.’
- ‘Their enthusiasm, for both the playing and the research involved in bringing early music to contemporary audiences, was palpable.’
- ‘He probably had as much personal acquaintance with early music as nearly anyone of his time.’
- ‘The Times reckons York Early Music Festival to be ‘Britain's most prominent early music festival’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.