One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The soft, fleshy lower part of the external ear.
- ‘Eddie reached up and fingered his right ear lobe gingerly.’
- ‘A hole is pierced through the fatty tissue of the earlobe and an earring (usually a small gold stud) is inserted.’
- ‘Despite active service during the entire war he escaped unscathed apart from a nick out of his ear lobe caused by a sniper's bullet.’
- ‘Ear piercing of fatty tissue on the ear lobe is regulated, but the increasingly fashionable procedure on the cartilage is classified as body-piercing, which is uncontrolled.’
- ‘A quick pull on the earlobe, a push on the tragus and a look into the canal confirmed the diagnosis of external otitis.’
- ‘He wouldn't let go of his grip on her as he kissed her ear lobe delicately.’
- ‘Upon closer inspection I also noticed a tiny stud on his left ear lobe.’
- ‘I've recently noticed a swelling on my jawbone just below my earlobe.’
- ‘The girl had a rash on her earlobe and a painful lump just below the lobe.’
- ‘When the outer ear, the area between the earlobe and the eardrum, becomes infected it's known as ‘swimmer's ear’.’
- ‘For example, the nickel found in some jewellery may cause eczema on the ear lobes, wrists, and around the neck.’
- ‘A useful guide to whether a patient has parotid enlargement is to look for outward deflection of the ear lobe, which is seen in true parotid swelling.’
- ‘A bad infection can be recognized by pain experienced while chewing, or by discomfort noticed when tugging on the earlobes.’
- ‘The primary symptom of otitis externa is ear pain, which can be severe and gets worse when the earlobe or other exterior part of the ear is touched or moved.’
- ‘Antitragus piercing is performed through the ridge of cartilage immediately above the earlobe.’
- ‘Help the water run out of your ears by turning your head to each side and pulling the earlobe in different directions.’
- ‘Ticks most often sting in the areas around the neck, behind the ear lobe and in the groin area.’
- ‘She had brownish hair that stopped a little bit under her ear lobes, and I hated to admit it but she was a little pretty.’
- ‘The pain often gets worse when the outer part of the ear or earlobe is touched.’
- ‘The money was used to buy a pulse oximeter, a hand-held piece of equipment which is attached to an ear lobe or finger and checks lung function quickly and easily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.