Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of alternative therapy in which the tapered end of an ear candle is placed in a person's ear while the other end of the candle is lit, in the belief that earwax and other impurities are drawn out of the ear canal by a partial vacuum created by the candle flame.‘the Spa menu includes colonics, ear candling, and body brushing performed with an oak-leaf broom’
- ‘Mind, Body, Spirit is more than ear-candling, crystal-waving and ooky-spooky mumbo-jumbo.’
- ‘A few years ago my grandmother happened to mention the practice of "ear-candling" and how her mother used to perform this home remedy on her when she was a child.’
- ‘Graham, a certified reflexologist came and spoke about ear-candling. Two staff were used to demonstrate and many residents were curious and came to watch.’
- ‘Ear-candling is a process which is said to extract ear-wax (cerumen).’
- ‘However, I will describe here a test we did of a very popular health fad known as "ear-candling."’
- ‘Perhaps my problems will respond t Tanya's skill in ‘Hopi ear-candling.’’
- ‘Learn to remove ear toxins holistically with this ear-candling book and video.’
- ‘She shares her wry frustration over a long and ultimately futile dance with drugs, surgery, massages, restrictive diets, ear-candling, acupuncture, and dozens of other potential fixes each time hoping crazily that this attempt at a cure will be the one.’
ear candling/ˈir ˌkand(ə)liNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.