One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hollow cone-shaped tube of wax-coated paper or other material, made for use in ear candling.
- ‘The ear candle—a stiff hollow tube made out of cotton flax and impregnated with beeswax, honey and herbs—is placed in the ear and allowed to burn down, drawing the wax out.’
- ‘My greatest relief came from using ear candles to remove excess earwax and a neti pot, a teapot-like Ayurvedic tool, to flush warm saltwater through my nasal passages.’
- ‘They used to sell ear candles but stopped.’
- ‘Perhaps its time for some ear candles.’
- ‘Hopi ear candles are not so much a candle, more a tube made of pure cotton soaked in a healing mixture of beeswax, sage, camomile and other herbs and then dried and rolled.’
- ‘Another option is Hopi ear candles, named after the Native American tribe who first introduced them to the west.’
- ‘Therapies that will be represented include aromatherapy, stress management, hypnotherapy, Shiatsu, Reiki, reflexology, Hopi ear candles, crystal healing and the Bowen technique.’
- ‘Obviously the candles in question didn't come from a ten-pack sold in the corner shop—these are special Hopi ear candles and the treatment was being administered by a trained therapist.’
- ‘In a statement, Health Canada wrote: "There is no valid scientific data available to support any therapeutic benefits associated with the use of ear candles."’
- ‘"Just so people understand, this is an ear candle," he says, in a stentorian deadpan that indeed suggests clogged ears.’
- ‘Hopi ear candles are used to treat a range of ailments including: earache, wax and glue ear, sinusitis, rhinitis, colds and flu, ear and throat infections, tonsillitis, mild hearing loss and tinnitus.’
- ‘If the ears are plugged with wax, have it removed by a specialist or try using ear candles.’
- ‘In my tests I found that not only do ear candles not produce a vacuum, smoke will actually come out of the small unlit end of the candle in some cases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.