One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large Old World owl with ear tufts and a deep hoot.
Genus Bubo, family Strigidae: several species, in particular the Eurasian B. bubo
- ‘Local bird enthusiasts have questioned whether Solly is, as his owners believe, a European, rather than an African eagle owl.’
- ‘Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.’
- ‘A leading animal expert has promised to come to Bolton in a bid to catch a rare eagle owl which has been circling the town all week.’
- ‘We may find some consolation in taking a look at a smaller relative of the eagle owl, the short-eared owl, which is fairly widespread in parts of Britain.’
- ‘The eagle owl that made a flying visit to Market Street, Haverfordwest, last week spent most of the weekend playing hide and seek with his owners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.