Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium commonly found in the intestines of humans and other animals, where it usually causes no harm. Some strains can cause severe food poisoning, especially in old people and children.
- ‘They spliced a piece of frog DNA into the DNA of a common bacterium known as E. coli.’
- ‘Food contaminated with the E. coli bacteria will not look or smell spoiled.’
- ‘The order of the genes in the four strains of E. coli was identical, leading to distances equal to zero.’
- ‘But tests for the bacteria E. coli may take five days to confirm a positive reading.’
- ‘The first peroxiredoxins were cloned from bacteria such as Salmonella typhimurium and E. coli.’
- ‘The bacterium E. coli is a normal inhabitant of the gastrointestinal tract of humans and livestock.’
- ‘We expect all of the genes in this category to be native to E. coli since its divergence from Salmonella.’
- ‘If the meat is harboring E. coli or Salmonella, it will trigger a visual alarm.’
- ‘The bacteria E. coli is being genetically engineered by the CIA to create killer germs.’
- ‘These are more common in children and can be caused by bacteria such as E. coli.’
- ‘Now when we talk about germs, we're talking about everything from the common cold to E. coli.’
- ‘It can detect seven types of contaminants, from chlorine to traces of bacteria like E. coli.’
- ‘The large intestine of healthy individuals provides the primary niche for E. coli in humans.’
- ‘The muck is believed to contain E. coli, certain viruses and a cholera-like bacteria.’
- ‘These genes were identified by comparing the human sequences to those from yeast and E. coli.’
- ‘If you have a private well, have it tested once a year for germs including E. coli.’
- ‘It's almost impossible to protect dairy cows from E. coli and other coliform bacteria.’
- ‘The culprit that causes most bladder infections is E. coli, a bacteria normally found in the bowel.’
- ‘Compensation in E. coli and other bacteria has been demonstrated several times.’
- ‘Each batch of milk is tested for bad guys like salmonella and E. coli, and not once have they been found.’
E. coli/ˌē ˈkōlī/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.