One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nountrademark in US
A retailer selling goods via electronic transactions on the Internet.
- ‘They say very few e-tailers are getting it right.’
- ‘He refused to comment on speculation that his e-tailer is looking at buying a US online toy seller.’
- ‘The e-tailer informed its affiliates of the move in an email today - leaving them with around a week's notice, and over the Christmas period.’
- ‘As the school year approaches, the textbook retailers and e-tailers will continue to spar in an attempt to separate the boys from the men.’
- ‘A new e-commerce law protects UK ISPs and e-tailers from actions over content held on or passing through their networks.’
- ‘Another indication that this is the case comes from the terms that credit card companies give e-tailers.’
- ‘Second, the number and variety of retailers, including e-tailers, that wanted to stock the company's styles had grown significantly.’
- ‘More surfers are already shopping online - in August 75 per cent of Net users visited e-tailers, already higher than last year's peak month of December.’
- ‘This suggests that e-tailers who provide relationship-enhancing services will be viewed more positively.’
- ‘In a survey of the top 25 online shopping sites in the UK, consultancy Plaut found that just 15 per cent of e-tailers had a level of customers service equivalent to that expected on the high street.’
- ‘Comparing an e-tailer like Amazon.com with a retail bookseller shows far less energy use per book sold, in fact a 16 to 1 difference.’
- ‘‘However, we do remain vulnerable in all our markets to acts of terrorism,’ the e-tailer warned.’
- ‘This easy way to avoid sales tax is one reason for the enormous popularity of mail order in the US and it means that US Internet e-tailers are used to not collecting sales tax too often.’
- ‘When the Seattle-based e-tailer, which sells IT kit including software, printers and computer components, realised what had happened it cancelled the orders.’
- ‘Recent online pricing mistakes by well-known companies have highlighted a number of problems facing e-tailers and all those who conduct business on the Internet.’
- ‘The e-tailer sold 1.4 million copies of the new Harry Potter book in June, and free shipping fired up sales.’
- ‘In the end, Rubin predicts the multichannel e-tailers or retailers will win out, by existing everywhere the consumer wants them to be.’
- ‘The FBI has warned e-tailers to guard against hackers.’
- ‘Some EMI partners sell directly to listeners, other to e-tailers who will themselves target consumers.’
- ‘We'll look at what that means for retailers and e-tailers.’
1990s: blend of e- and retailer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.