Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A digital version of a greeting card, typically accessed by the recipient via a hyperlink in an email.‘the next day she sent him an animated e-card that told him how special he was to her’
- ‘Could be a sweet e-card from that boy at camp.’
- ‘You can even select your favourite quotation from the work to send to a friend in an e-card.’
- ‘But don't try to get me to make some statement about it in the form of an e-card or something.’
- ‘Again, before you can view your e-card on its website, you must agree to a "Security Warning and Licence Agreement".’
- ‘If an e-card captures people's imagination, within seconds they will forward it and so the message goes on around the world.’
- ‘I've brought back last year's successful Valentine's Day e-card.’
- ‘You'll also be able to send an e-card of your favourite sitcom to a friend.’
- ‘Well if you have, and your dad's got Internet access, send him an e-card and get yourself out of hot water.’
- ‘Your mother, meanwhile, in all her infinite newfound Web wisdom, sends you a goofy e-card.’
- ‘The virtual ambassadors are currently featured in the University's Christmas e-card which involves an animated snowball fight.’
- ‘I guess I'll have to send her an e-card.’
- ‘The phoney e-card is the latest scam in the eternal battle for online traffic, playing cynically on people's goodwill to bombard them with adverts or promote dubious websites.’
- ‘I got an e-card from a secret admirer, who thinks I'm cute!’
- ‘I got a nice e-card this morning from my secret pal a cheery daisy to brighten up my day.’
- ‘Please people send me a e-card or get me a present or both, thanks.’
- ‘There are readymade cards on several websites, but the greatest satisfaction seems to come from sending a personally designed e-card.’
- ‘So that's why I'm boycotting greeting cards: this year, Wayne will be getting an e-card of a dancing monkey.’
- ‘Then I checked my email and found a cheery e-card waiting in my inbox from the guy I'd gone to dinner with.’
- ‘When this e-card is sent, the original $1 donation will be doubled!’
- ‘You can also find out how to e-mail him, send him an e-card, that kind of thing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.