One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bicycle that can be run on electric power as well as by pedaling.
- ‘There are now signs that the e-bike is about to make a breakthrough in Europe, starting predictably perhaps among the cycle-loving citizens of Holland.’
- ‘The e-bike has been much slower to catch on in Europe and America, even though it is has zero emissions, is whisper-quiet and can deliver a commuter to his desk in London or Barcelona without the need for a shower and a change of clothes.’
- ‘It is introducing a carbon e-bike to the UK at this week's Cycle 2009 Show at Earls Court, which starts today.’
- ‘E-bikes cost less than 2 p to recharge the equivalent of 1,000 mpg.’
- ‘Dutch cyclists brought 120,000 e-bikes last year, with sales predicted to more than double to 300,000 - or a quarter of all new bike sales - in 2009-10.’
- ‘This year's hottest trend on two wheels: electric bikes, or e-bikes.’
- ‘With these e-bikes, an electric motor starts when it senses you pedalling too hard, usually on starts and going up hills, stopping when you're done straining.’
- ‘Consequently, there is a wealth of e-bikes available for cycle retailers who are looking to get involved in the sector.’
- ‘Over 30 companies have so far signed up to the ETRA organised Eurobike meet, organised with the intention to discuss legislation changes relating to e-bikes.’
- ‘"In 2000 and 2001 we were visiting dealers and introducing the concept of e-bikes."’
- ‘E-bikes are even more popular on mainland Europe.’
- ‘E-bikes are legally classified as bicycles, provided they have motors of 250 watts or less, and a top assisted speed not exceeding 15 mph.’
- ‘If the age of e-bikes has indeed arrived, the company may be off to the races again.’
- ‘"In Germany, in 2008, 100,000 e-bikes were sold, but I believe that sales will quadruple within the next three years."’
- ‘E-bikes certainly aren't new, but where before they were something of an expensive curiosity, versions have now been designed for most consumers, from kids to parents, racers to hobbyists.’
- ‘Now this e-bike has a lot of the same gadgets you'd expect to find on any bicycle.’
- ‘E-bikes have been thriving on the Continent, but their potential has yet to be fulfilled in the UK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.