Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bicycle that can be run on electric power as well as by pedaling.
- ‘E-bikes cost less than 2 p to recharge the equivalent of 1,000 mpg.’
- ‘E-bikes certainly aren't new, but where before they were something of an expensive curiosity, versions have now been designed for most consumers, from kids to parents, racers to hobbyists.’
- ‘There are now signs that the e-bike is about to make a breakthrough in Europe, starting predictably perhaps among the cycle-loving citizens of Holland.’
- ‘E-bikes are even more popular on mainland Europe.’
- ‘E-bikes are legally classified as bicycles, provided they have motors of 250 watts or less, and a top assisted speed not exceeding 15 mph.’
- ‘"In Germany, in 2008, 100,000 e-bikes were sold, but I believe that sales will quadruple within the next three years."’
- ‘"In 2000 and 2001 we were visiting dealers and introducing the concept of e-bikes."’
- ‘Now this e-bike has a lot of the same gadgets you'd expect to find on any bicycle.’
- ‘With these e-bikes, an electric motor starts when it senses you pedalling too hard, usually on starts and going up hills, stopping when you're done straining.’
- ‘E-bikes have been thriving on the Continent, but their potential has yet to be fulfilled in the UK.’
- ‘Over 30 companies have so far signed up to the ETRA organised Eurobike meet, organised with the intention to discuss legislation changes relating to e-bikes.’
- ‘Dutch cyclists brought 120,000 e-bikes last year, with sales predicted to more than double to 300,000 - or a quarter of all new bike sales - in 2009-10.’
- ‘It is introducing a carbon e-bike to the UK at this week's Cycle 2009 Show at Earls Court, which starts today.’
- ‘The e-bike has been much slower to catch on in Europe and America, even though it is has zero emissions, is whisper-quiet and can deliver a commuter to his desk in London or Barcelona without the need for a shower and a change of clothes.’
- ‘This year's hottest trend on two wheels: electric bikes, or e-bikes.’
- ‘Consequently, there is a wealth of e-bikes available for cycle retailers who are looking to get involved in the sector.’
- ‘If the age of e-bikes has indeed arrived, the company may be off to the races again.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.