One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A derogatory or unpleasant term used instead of a pleasant or neutral one, such as “loony bin” for “mental hospital.”The opposite of euphemism
- ‘Of course, this comes from the rebel psychologist for whom diagnostic psychiatry is an authoritarian priesthood, and ‘insanity’ an institutional dysphemism for ‘minority.’’
- ‘Now the honest word secondhand is relegated to the ash heap of dysphemism.’
- ‘Euphemism and dysphemism - Language is used as shield and weapon.’
- ‘Aside from this confusion, this use of homicide as a dysphemism for suicide obscures the singular depravity of suicide terrorism.’
- ‘Holder explains that labeling a word or expression as euphemistic or dysphemistic is, of necessity, subjective; ‘one woman's euphemism is another man's dysphemism.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.