One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1short for dynamometer
- ‘I thought we would do better here, but the motor just didn't look as good on the track as it did on the dyno at home.’
- ‘We hope to run the new model on the dyno later in the year to get as much mileage on it as possible, but ideally we will run it in a car at tests before the season is finished.’
- ‘When we put an engine on the dyno and it makes 10 or 15 more horsepower, that's my high.’
- ‘‘We get the engine straight from Sonny, all packaged, right off the dyno,’ Mitsos said.’
- ‘Furthermore, we have used extremely aggressive approval processes on the dyno.’
- ‘The P84 has already been tested on the dyno and in one of last year's cars.’
- ‘Virtually every high-horsepower racing engine that is built at a professional shop is tested and tuned on a dyno before it is delivered.’
- ‘Recently, I watched a guy test his '66 Chevelle on the chassis dyno.’
- ‘‘We've had the car in the wind tunnel and on the chassis dyno,’ Labbe says.’
- ‘Automatic cars generally need more torque, and regardless of what the dyno might reveal, these cars will accelerate quicker with better intake velocity in the midrange.’
- ‘There was an RS24C development project, which was pursued on the dyno, but which did not go in the car.’
- ‘A few adjustments can be made to the carburetor to improve drivability; however, any serious performance tuning should be done on a dyno (chassis or engine) or at the track.’
- ‘He has virtually no in-house resources in this critical area, save for the race team's dynos.’
- ‘We explore a number of avenues, some of which turn out to be workable and we have two dynos dedicated exclusively to development.’
- ‘Few ideas are wrong in their conception; it takes a dyno or a racetrack to prove otherwise.’
- ‘I also have a chassis dyno that I can use between races.’
- ‘We spent some time tuning up the ZZ572 on our dyno, and it responded favorably to our efforts.’
- ‘Both the Spintron and the dyno have convinced me that a valve spring performs best when it runs in a certain relationship with the cam lobe.’
- ‘Initial tests on the dyno have produced 1,540 horsepower.’
- ‘The HP correction factor is designed to correct the observed torque from the dyno to standard day conditions by multiplying by this factor.’
A rapid move across a rock face in order to reach a hold.
- ‘He solos unroped up a cliff, performing an unlikely series of dynos and crucifix-style deadman hangs.’
- ‘For those of you not familiar with the Elbsandsteingebirge, some routes require horizontal dynos.’
1with object Measure (the output of an engine) with a dynamometer.
- ‘While there's the option to dyno your car, providing tweaks to the speed, handling and other stats of your vehicle, it's not really necessary to be successful.’
- ‘Teammate Jason Line then drove all night to the shop, dyno'd the engine, and returned it to Atlanta Dragway at 3 a.m. Sunday for the boss to use.’
- ‘We take the engine apart and dyno it to check that it's close to where it was.’
- ‘The 7.70 came on the first pass with a new SRT - 4 engine, which had never been dynoed or tested.’
- ‘In addition, we're going to dyno our engines, freshen our transmissions, and figure out a combination that will make us fast right out of the box.’
2no object (in mountaineering) climb using dynos.
- ‘Shifting my weight onto my leg even more I then dynoed about a foot higher to an extremely tiny hold that is made harder to latch because the opening in the crack is so incredibly narrow.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.