One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boring, studious, or socially inept person.
bore, dull personView synonyms
- ‘Stop being conned by the old mantra that says, ‘Leaders are cool, managers are dweebs.’’
- ‘It might be one of those dweebs from school trying to taunt me again…’
- ‘My dad had a Kingston Trio record, and even at the tender age of 7, I could tell this stuff was for dweebs.’
- ‘You are such an unbelievable dweeb sometimes that it amazes me.’
- ‘I waved at him and tried to speak though no words could come out, I must have looked like a real dweeb.’
- ‘It must be quite the letdown knowing that the dweeb chose her over you.’
- ‘It's certainly not you, you didn't have to spend your entire life with the dweeb.’
- ‘People who work in the Internet industry on the other hand are viewed as nerds, geeks, dweebs and propeller heads.’
- ‘And he's got the geek thing going on without being a total dweeb.’
- ‘Back in the day, when I was much more of a sci-fi dweeb, I was into more of the quasi-magical soft science fiction.’
- ‘It used to be that fantasy fiction was for dweebs.’
- ‘If I hadn't, the two of us would've just stood there gaping at each other until Zachary finally realized what a dweeb I was being and ran away in horror.’
- ‘I yelled at the dweebs in the kitchen, and stomped out to my room.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the hard-working dweebs in his office who have not benefited from hypnotherapy get canned.’
- ‘They never made fun of me just because I was a dweeb.’
- ‘Here are some more - at the risk of sounding like a total dweeb - wholesome ways to wile away the hours.’
- ‘Hey baby, how about ditching the dweebs and coming out with a stud?’
- ‘‘What are you two dweebs talking about’ asked Nicole.’
- ‘Some dweeb sent me an angry e-mail promising he had intellectually demolished me on his blog.’
- ‘The way she tells it, all the guys she dated before thought she was too much of a dweeb.’
1980s: perhaps a blend of dwarf and early 20th-century feeb ‘a feebleminded person’ (from feeble).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.