A DVD used as a read-only optical memory device for a computer system.
- ‘Standing for Digital Versatile Disk Read-Only Memory, DVD-ROM uses discs that are similar to CD-ROM discs but typically hold seven to eight times more data.’
- ‘Backups are saved on DAT units, DVD-ROM or optical disks.’
- ‘While the blue laser can support vastly higher recording densities, it does not support the focus depth needed to accurately read the current generation DVD video, DVD-ROM, and DVD recordable discs.’
- ‘We also get a couple of bonus live clips from the Festival of 2002, links to online content via DVD-ROM, an assortment of merchandise to order, and various other detailed goodies.’
- ‘Do you want to take the media from either drive and play it in the other device or in a DVD-ROM, DVD player, or DVD recorder?’
- ‘You can also output presentations to an AVI video file for delivery on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘The final specification of DVD-Video, for home video viewing, and DVD-ROM as a replacement for CD-ROM on personal computers, was agreed upon in September 1996.’
- ‘One of the upgrade opportunities would be a replacement of the installed CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with a DVD-recorder.’
- ‘The new format will allow a high-definition version of T2 to be released on a single DVD-ROM, the software giant said.’
- ‘There are various methods for synchronizing the folders on two and more computers: by e-mail, by transferring data on physical storage devices (flash cards, CD / DVD-ROMs, etc).’
- ‘The 710 also comes with 1GB of memory, a 73GB 10KRPM disk drive, DVD-ROM and a three-year, next-business-day warranty.’
- ‘It even provides real-time traffic and weather information, an 8.5 dual-layer DVD-ROM that stores U.S. and Canadian maps and a graphics system that shows a driver's view, a map mode and even a gear view.’
- ‘Once a DVD disc has been recorded, the data can be read and/or recovered on most computer DVD drives regardless of format: + R, R or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘It is known that the company's console will also use BD-ROM instead of DVD-ROM.’
- ‘So far, standards other than DVD5 were reserved for DVD video and DVD-ROM, in other words, for pressed DVDs.’
- ‘Optical storage devices, such as WORM, Rewritable, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, and CD-ROM can be added on-the-fly with no downtime.’
- ‘Presently, only two models of SCSI DVD-ROM are available: the 304S / 305S and the SD-M1201B.’
- ‘So if your computer cannot handle DVD-ROM, you are not going to get much besides the show itself.’
- ‘By employing an enhanced media structure and adaptive recording algorithms, the new 4.7GB DVD-RAM media format provides single-layer capacities matching DVD-ROM.’
- ‘In the process, a single-layer disc is first produced, using the same process as for HD DVD-ROM.’
Abbreviation of DVD read-only memory.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.