Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A DVD used as a read-only optical memory device for a computer system.
- ‘The new format will allow a high-definition version of T2 to be released on a single DVD-ROM, the software giant said.’
- ‘It was either that or wander to the nearby video store to rent a movie (the laptop is equipped with a DVD-ROM, lucky me!’
- ‘Presently, only two models of SCSI DVD-ROM are available: the 304S / 305S and the SD-M1201B.’
- ‘Optical storage devices, such as WORM, Rewritable, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, and CD-ROM can be added on-the-fly with no downtime.’
- ‘While the blue laser can support vastly higher recording densities, it does not support the focus depth needed to accurately read the current generation DVD video, DVD-ROM, and DVD recordable discs.’
- ‘Once a DVD disc has been recorded, the data can be read and/or recovered on most computer DVD drives regardless of format: + R, R or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘Standing for Digital Versatile Disk Read-Only Memory, DVD-ROM uses discs that are similar to CD-ROM discs but typically hold seven to eight times more data.’
- ‘The Atlas consists of 10 separate power type connectors providing both 12V and 5V to plug into your hard drives, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, CD-RWs, etc.’
- ‘One of the upgrade opportunities would be a replacement of the installed CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with a DVD-recorder.’
- ‘In the process, a single-layer disc is first produced, using the same process as for HD DVD-ROM.’
- ‘It is known that the company's console will also use BD-ROM instead of DVD-ROM.’
- ‘Backups are saved on DAT units, DVD-ROM or optical disks.’
- ‘We also get a couple of bonus live clips from the Festival of 2002, links to online content via DVD-ROM, an assortment of merchandise to order, and various other detailed goodies.’
- ‘The 9900 ci is still a little more expensive than the stand-alone competition, but you're only paying about an extra £30 and you get a DVD-ROM thrown in as well.’
- ‘You can also output presentations to an AVI video file for delivery on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘For a bit more money you can get a CD-RW that records CDs or a DVD-ROM that plays DVD movies.’
- ‘The 710 also comes with 1GB of memory, a 73GB 10KRPM disk drive, DVD-ROM and a three-year, next-business-day warranty.’
- ‘Of course, audio of this quality may easily be recorded on a PC, stored on a DVD-ROM, and then played back however you want to play it back.’
- ‘So far, standards other than DVD5 were reserved for DVD video and DVD-ROM, in other words, for pressed DVDs.’
- ‘The DVD-ROM in the console is 2-5x compared to the other's 2x speed.’
- ‘The final specification of DVD-Video, for home video viewing, and DVD-ROM as a replacement for CD-ROM on personal computers, was agreed upon in September 1996.’
- ‘They are very similar to the old DVD-ROM, and therefore the right choice for storing movies or game content permanently.’
- ‘Do you want to take the media from either drive and play it in the other device or in a DVD-ROM, DVD player, or DVD recorder?’
- ‘So if your computer cannot handle DVD-ROM, you are not going to get much besides the show itself.’
- ‘There are various methods for synchronizing the folders on two and more computers: by e-mail, by transferring data on physical storage devices (flash cards, CD / DVD-ROMs, etc).’
- ‘By employing an enhanced media structure and adaptive recording algorithms, the new 4.7GB DVD-RAM media format provides single-layer capacities matching DVD-ROM.’
- ‘First, we chose one master machine and loaded up its SCSI interface with six hard disks and a DVD-ROM.’
- ‘It even provides real-time traffic and weather information, an 8.5 dual-layer DVD-ROM that stores U.S. and Canadian maps and a graphics system that shows a driver's view, a map mode and even a gear view.’
- ‘The HDD was mounted in the right hand side of the case; it was thin enough and also ran cool enough to allow it to sit underneath where the DVD-ROM was to be located.’
Abbreviation from DVD read-only memory.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.