Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A DVD used as a read-only optical memory device for a computer system.
- ‘Standing for Digital Versatile Disk Read-Only Memory, DVD-ROM uses discs that are similar to CD-ROM discs but typically hold seven to eight times more data.’
- ‘Backups are saved on DAT units, DVD-ROM or optical disks.’
- ‘While the blue laser can support vastly higher recording densities, it does not support the focus depth needed to accurately read the current generation DVD video, DVD-ROM, and DVD recordable discs.’
- ‘We also get a couple of bonus live clips from the Festival of 2002, links to online content via DVD-ROM, an assortment of merchandise to order, and various other detailed goodies.’
- ‘Do you want to take the media from either drive and play it in the other device or in a DVD-ROM, DVD player, or DVD recorder?’
- ‘You can also output presentations to an AVI video file for delivery on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘The final specification of DVD-Video, for home video viewing, and DVD-ROM as a replacement for CD-ROM on personal computers, was agreed upon in September 1996.’
- ‘One of the upgrade opportunities would be a replacement of the installed CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with a DVD-recorder.’
- ‘The new format will allow a high-definition version of T2 to be released on a single DVD-ROM, the software giant said.’
- ‘There are various methods for synchronizing the folders on two and more computers: by e-mail, by transferring data on physical storage devices (flash cards, CD / DVD-ROMs, etc).’
- ‘The 710 also comes with 1GB of memory, a 73GB 10KRPM disk drive, DVD-ROM and a three-year, next-business-day warranty.’
- ‘It even provides real-time traffic and weather information, an 8.5 dual-layer DVD-ROM that stores U.S. and Canadian maps and a graphics system that shows a driver's view, a map mode and even a gear view.’
- ‘Once a DVD disc has been recorded, the data can be read and/or recovered on most computer DVD drives regardless of format: + R, R or DVD-ROM.’
- ‘It is known that the company's console will also use BD-ROM instead of DVD-ROM.’
- ‘So far, standards other than DVD5 were reserved for DVD video and DVD-ROM, in other words, for pressed DVDs.’
- ‘Optical storage devices, such as WORM, Rewritable, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, and CD-ROM can be added on-the-fly with no downtime.’
- ‘Presently, only two models of SCSI DVD-ROM are available: the 304S / 305S and the SD-M1201B.’
- ‘So if your computer cannot handle DVD-ROM, you are not going to get much besides the show itself.’
- ‘By employing an enhanced media structure and adaptive recording algorithms, the new 4.7GB DVD-RAM media format provides single-layer capacities matching DVD-ROM.’
- ‘In the process, a single-layer disc is first produced, using the same process as for HD DVD-ROM.’
Abbreviation of DVD read-only memory.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.