Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A blank DVD on which data, including music and movies, can be permanently recorded and read using the DVD-RAM format. A DVD-RAM discs can be recorded over many times, but will only play back in a DVD-RAM drive.
- ‘Cprm employs a similar methodology, but is designed exclusively for recordable media like DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, SD flash memory and ATAPI storage.’
- ‘It offers high-speed dubbing from hard disk drive onto DVD-RAM at speeds of 40x and onto DVD-R disc up to 64x in EP mode.’
- ‘Only that company uses DVD-RAM, which looks like a round disc in a square plastic box.’
- 1.1 A format for recordable DVDs used by some companies.
- ‘But DVD-RAM is backed by some big Japanese consumer electronics companies, many of them DVD Forum members, and the trade body clearly wants them on-side when the world goes HD.’
- ‘For networked environments and high-capacity applications, the DVD choice is clear; DVD-RAM and DVD Multi-drives are the order of the day.’
- ‘It recommends users work with the DVD-RAM disc format until they have a video or some data that they want to share with someone else and then burn it from the DVD-RAM to the DVD-R, much like you would copy a CD on a CD-RW drive.’
- ‘Not all DVD drives accept DVD-RAM, although the DV40's drive accepts bare-naked CDs.’
- ‘The disc that was formerly called HD DVD-RW is largely founded on DVD-RAM, whereas the format that will now be known as HD DVD-RW is more basic and, we understand, more suitable for a dual-layer version.’
- ‘They have the resources to do that and DVD + RW would be highly competitive against DVD-RAM if they were to accomplish that in 2000.’
- ‘There currently are three: DVD-R / RW, DVD + R / + RW and DVD-RAM.’
- ‘The drive can be anything in a half-height form factor, so with DVD-RAM you can put about 3TB of data in that box.’
- ‘It doesn't matter what media you buy - except, of course, DVD-RAM, which is only supported by the Iomega drive.’
- ‘But now I'm seeing DVD-RAM drives that also write CDs; and there's supposed to be a drive coming out this Spring that writes both rewritable DVD-RAM and write-once DVD-R.’
- ‘It announced the multimedia appliance, which supports DVD-RAM and ROM.’
- ‘Read speeds are 12X for DVD-ROM, 3X for DVD-RAM, 10X for other writable and rewritable DVD formats, and 32X for CD-ROM.’
- ‘While DVD-RAM for proprietary storage jukeboxes may be a viable prospect, the technology is losing ground in the optical standards race.’
- ‘This could take DVD-RAM out of the offline side, where it's been used for archiving and backup, and put it into online storage.’
Abbreviation of DVD recordable.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.