One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft quilt filled with down, feathers, or a synthetic fiber, used instead of an upper sheet and blankets.
cover, covering, rug, afghan, quilt, eiderdownView synonyms
- ‘A collection of clothes for the survivors of the Kashmir disaster is now in operation, clean blankets, duvets, shoes and children's clothes and crutches are all needed.’
- ‘Use layers of thin blankets rather than duvets or quilts.’
- ‘Myra offers a full laundry service for duvets, throws, blankets, curtains, bed linen, team kits, etc. and her rates are very competitive.’
- ‘A collection is being organised for the victims of the Pakistani Earthquake and the requirements are blankets, duvets, sleeping bags and tents.’
- ‘The animal foundation is always in need of donations of old blankets and duvets.’
- ‘Follow their example and get rid of carpets and extra soft furnishings, swap duvets for white linen and cover chairs or sofas with leather.’
- ‘There were no fancy high-count sheets or plush duvets, but the bedding wasn't scratchy or thin, either.’
- ‘Do not use a duvet, quilt or pillow until your baby is over one year old.’
- ‘Used and unused clothes, together with blankets, sheets and duvets are most welcome.’
- ‘We slept in twin bedded rooms, with sheets and duvets provided, and the bathrooms were stocked with soap, towels, hair shampoo and dryers.’
- ‘The material is more associated with quilts and duvets; the inside bit, the bit inside the sandwich, as it were!’
- ‘Work hard to minimize house dust mites, particularly in his bedroom, by regular vacuuming, washing of bed linen and duvets, pillows, curtains and so on.’
- ‘You can help by donating blankets, sheets, duvets, guilds, curtains and other such items but they must be clean and in good condition.’
- ‘And to keep warm, they had to pile three duvets and a blanket on their bed at night.’
- ‘All rooms share the simple, contemporary look: dark-wood furniture and bare-board floors, primrose sheets and duvets, with black-and-white prints of the relevant winery.’
- ‘To rid your dreamland of mites and their droppings, keep bedroom humidity low, wash sheets often in warm water and enclose pillows and duvets in allergen-proof covers.’
- ‘The hotels now offer pillow-top beds with seven pillows, cushy duvets and luxurious sheets.’
- ‘Wanted for the Irish emigrant centres and Irish elderly living alone, the following items are required, duvets and covers, blankets, sheets and mens warm clean clothing.’
- ‘Moreover, its production creates less than half the greenhouse gases normally generated in producing synthetic fillings for duvets and pillows.’
- ‘Do not use duvets, quilts, cot bumpers or sheepskins that may increase the risk of overheating.’
Mid 18th century: from French, literally ‘down’ (see down).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.