One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The message their joyless dutifulness sends to children couldn't be clearer: you are a burden, you are sucking the life out of me, but - ‘in my heart’ - I love you.’
- ‘On the other hand, too much solemnity and dutifulness creates a lifeless and narrow outlook and a stale psychological environment.’
- ‘While it is not an incumbent duty on either, considering their poverty, he will be doing an act of dutifulness which earns his parents and himself good reward.’
- ‘Its proponents may even extend the hypothesis that one reason for this is, ironically, the very longevity of our present monarch and her mother, and their unquestioned dutifulness (which some call dullness).’
- ‘In fact, this aura of dutifulness, rather than ego gratification, may be one of the reasons that he seems popular among his staff - something unusual for most ego-charged media executives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.