One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant closely related to bleeding heart, but typically having pale yellow or white flowers.
Genus Dicentra, family Fumariaceae: several species, in particular D. cucullaria
- ‘Surf and turf Daytrip by boat to the 600-acre Indian Lake State Park, where you can jog the three-mile brushy Cherokee Trail past wildflowers like Dutchman's breeches and bloodroot.’
- ‘Over at the moist edge of our woods, there's snowy-bloomed bloodroot; on the opposite side, white-winged Dutchman's breeches.’
- ‘This triggers the appearance of a number of wildflowers: trillium, phlox, trout lily, Dutchman's breeches, violets, wild strawberries and many more.’
- ‘Among them are Dutchman's breeches, spring-beauty, and various species of toothwort, trillium, and violet.’
- ‘Many of our loveliest spring wildflowers - trillium, wild ginger, Dutchman's breeches, and hepatica among them - simply can't compete.’
Mid 19th century: so named because of the shape of the spurred flower.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.