Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ball of dust and fluff.
fuzz, lint, dustView synonyms
- ‘Few came to greet me when I landed on this dustball.’
- ‘Since I would go to Tibet if I chose, but could not transmute dustballs into gold under any circumstances, only the first course of action is in this sense a possibility for me.’
- ‘Five years ago, he had been nothing but a boy, a farmer's son, on a dustball of a planet that had barely existed in anyone's mind.’
- ‘We really need to give that dustball a name soon.’
- ‘They will turn into a dustball for motorcyclists to scramble in and this will cause a nuisance.’
- ‘After 29 naps and 13 rounds of Cat Chow, he's probably up for more stimulation than chasing dustballs.’
- ‘Our planet is humid, hot, muggy, so hot that it would be a barren dustball if it wasn't almost totally covered with water, more so than Earth, which keeps the atmosphere perpetually damp.’
- ‘She rolled her pencil between two fingers as if it were a useless dustball.’
- ‘The song (a track meant originally as a collaboration between the two artists) bounces and along like a dub filled dustball, gathering speed and size as it rolls down a steep hill.’
- ‘Or I could wage a war of extermination against them, and their leader, a sentient giant dustball named Rupert.’
- ‘In September, return visitors to an Edinburgh guesthouse said it was time to ‘rethink the three-star rating’, complaining that the linens were ‘soiled’ and the carpet was littered with ‘crumbs and dustballs’.’
- ‘Waving away the floating dustballs the woman shoved her nose back at the shelves curiously.’
- ‘These ruminations are chased from my mind like dustballs when the band takes the stage to the deafening approval of their awaiting minions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.