Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The darker stage of twilight.‘dusk was falling rapidly’‘working the land from dawn to dusk’
twilight, nightfall, sunset, sundown, evening, close of dayView synonyms
- ‘As dusk fell, the Gandhi Park grounds were set aglow as hundreds of candles were lit to commemorate the occasion.’
- ‘Hours passed, the dusk of curfew crept, the body remained.’
- ‘Lucas sat by the fire staring into the flames as he saw the dusk of night slowly falling.’
- ‘As dusk falls their hemlines get higher, their V-lines lower, more revealing, vulgar.’
- ‘In the twilight dusk, I followed him out the door and up the garden path, where he tripped over a loose rock and fell to one knee.’
- ‘I have no idea where we went, except to say that it was probably east, and we walked two hours to a point and two hours back to the summit and then pitched our tent in the dusk.’
- ‘As dusk fell the quality of the music rose noticeably.’
- ‘They look beautiful in the dusk as the lights inside shine through the carving.’
- ‘As dusk fell and turned to night, an elderly cleric began to recite several verses of the Koran while the congregation repeated after him.’
- ‘Summer is also wonderful because of the mid-week fell races that come with the light evenings and go in the Autumn when early dusks reappear.’
- ‘As dusk fell only one had taken them up on the offer - the rest opting to remain in their homes or stay with relatives.’
- ‘You will only placate them until you are finished with the days, the dawns, the dusks, the sky, the moon.’
- ‘As the dusk fell, heart-wrenching songs on the plight of child workers were sung.’
- ‘Almost exactly 48 hours later, as the championship finished in the dusk on Sunday, we had the answer.’
- ‘As he stood up against the fading light of the dusk, the hard trek was behind.’
- ‘As dusk fell, many gathered for a service of prayer on the beach.’
- ‘When dusk fell, the serenity of the Mojave Desert swallowed the small city, reclaiming it to the still of the night.’
- ‘In the half-light his mind tricks would work more effectively, since the dusk was conducive to belief more than was high noon.’
- ‘I fell in love with his home town, Aleppo, as soon as we arrived, weary in the dusk of a balmy, jasmine-scented evening.’
- ‘The sun had set but the fields were soaked with light in the dusk.’
- 1.1literary Semidarkness.‘in the dusk of an Istanbul nightclub’
darkness, semi-darkness, dark, gloominess, dimness, blackness, murkiness, murk, shadows, shade, shadiness, obscurityView synonyms
- ‘The island was enveloped in the shades of dusk and the wind from the sea was extremely cold.’
Grow dark.‘he saw the lights blaze in the dusking sky’
- ‘The night of the dance dawned - or should I say dusked?’
- ‘She gazed into his troubled face, dark hair falling across green eyes, sunlight dusking his pale skin, like fate waking up to morning air.’
- ‘I watch the horizon dusking ripe and remember the darkness of that one film - the scene, that scene, when she collapses.’
Shadowy, dim, or dark.
- ‘Chewing her lip thoughtfully, she wandered over to the window seat and looked out over the gardens, glowing a rich crimson in the dusk light.’
- ‘They used the dusk shadows to their advantage by hiding in them.’
- ‘She refused to be startled by the shifting dusk shadows.’
- ‘Open, solid, and hatched bars are the hours of lights on, lights off, and dusk lighting, respectively.’
- ‘From the valley comes a drumbeat of hooves as a tall horse gallops through the dusk shadows, bare but for a slim, young boy.’
Old English dox ‘dark, swarthy’ and doxian ‘darken in color’, of Germanic origin; related to Old High German tusin ‘darkish’; compare with dun The noun dates from the early 17th century The change in form from -x to -sk occurred in Middle English.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.