Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to continuing action.Contrasted with punctual
- ‘This paper presents a representation system for maintaining interacting durative states to replicate realistic emotional control.’
- ‘Figure 6 depicts a basic durative action, load-truck, in which there is no numeric change.’
- ‘Despite the fact that it is not used compulsorily (as in English), Dutch has two durative constructions.’
- ‘Time adverbials introduced by until impose restrictions on the aspectual class of the main clause they combine with: they only combine with durative sentences.’
- ‘There are three features that can be distinguished for this purpose: dynamic, telic, durative.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.