Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting continuing action.Contrasted with punctual
- ‘Figure 6 depicts a basic durative action, load-truck, in which there is no numeric change.’
- ‘There are three features that can be distinguished for this purpose: dynamic, telic, durative.’
- ‘Time adverbials introduced by until impose restrictions on the aspectual class of the main clause they combine with: they only combine with durative sentences.’
- ‘This paper presents a representation system for maintaining interacting durative states to replicate realistic emotional control.’
- ‘Despite the fact that it is not used compulsorily (as in English), Dutch has two durative constructions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.