One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Pieces of wood, matting, or similar material used to keep a cargo in position in a ship's hold.
- ‘Other waste reduction opportunities may involve the packaging, protective dunnage, trailer loading pattern and timing for delivering parts to assembly lines or after-market parts distributors.’
- ‘When the hatch cover was closed the fire was smouldering in the dunnage, most likely the carpet, and the vessel sailed from Constanza in that condition.’
- ‘But it seems to me that selling boxes half-full of dunnage is likely to gain you sales only once, and subsequently to backfire on the seller.’
- ‘One occasion I recall was a crew moving some assembled GBU - 24 guided bombs on a ready pad from one row of dunnage to the other.’
- ‘At least 6 inches of airspace should be between the ammunition and protective covering on the sides, 6 inches of dunnage should be on the bottom, and the roof should be 18 inches from the top of the stack.’
- 1.1informal A person's belongings, especially those brought on board ship.
belongings, possessions, stuff, property, worldly goods, goods, personal effects, effects, paraphernalia, impedimenta, bits and pieces, bits and bobsView synonyms
- ‘If the following day's hike is to be seven miles or less, the pack train carries commissary supplies and equipment up to the new camp in the morning, returns in the afternoon for dunnage, and packs up again.’
- ‘This man, our head packer, would supervise the loading of our eight strings of livestock (a packer, his horse, and five mules per string) that would carry our food, dunnage, and commissary equipment.’
- ‘Mr. Hornblower, you are to gather your dunnage and return to Indefatigable.’
- ‘In the Sierra's chill morning air we packed our dunnage, weighed it in again, and gathered in quiet groups around the 20-gallon coffeepot.’
- ‘The arrival of mule strings with dunnage and cooking equipment set the camp into a frenzy.’
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.