Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Stupid; brainless.‘dumb-ass politicians’
- ‘I just can't believe that someone would blatantly shoot and kill someone else in cold blood for no dumb-ass reason, and right in front of a bunch of people!’
- ‘Time and time again, we are inches away from dumb-ass politicians making disastrous decisions.’
- ‘You've always worked hard your whole life, you'll be damned if you'll put all that effort into something if there ain't no pot of gold at the end of this dumb-ass rainbow…’
- ‘Yeah, I'm pretty sure the voice of the people would have supported a flag-burning amendment back in 1988, but that would have been an equally dumb-ass amendment.’
- ‘I don't care about your dumb-ass balance between worlds!’
- ‘Two men, with thirty years of physical age difference, but no emotional difference, fight for the affection of a woman they love in the only way they know how: like dumb-ass fifteen-year-olds.’
- ‘Take a movie with good action, and replace all the dumb-ass plot contrivances with smart and believable twists.’
- ‘In the meantime, the dumb-ass males of the species watch the show with Neanderthal-like interest.’
- ‘There was a lot of reader response to our recent post on dumb-ass liberal celebrities and the much smaller number of conservative celebrities who, however, make up in quality what they lack in quantity.’
- ‘What is the most dumb-ass thing you ever did in your life?’
- ‘It's harder to defend the property rights of those who are perceived to be dumb-ass dilettantes.’
- ‘Well, my boy Joey is eight years old, and he's a foul-mouthed dumb-ass little loser just like his father.’
- ‘The thing is, I also like stem cell research and oppose dumb-ass Constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.’
- ‘This dumb-ass matron hasn't a clue on how to run a police service, and is too partisan and stupid to understand the higher concepts of law and justice that transcends partisan politics.’
- ‘Let me see if you can answer that dumb-ass question.’
- ‘Then we can work on preserving our history and not allow another irreplaceable structure to become a financial liability and vanish or be mutilated by another dumb-ass developer.’
- ‘Maybe you could argue that the government has been permissive in not criticizing Liberal party officials who make dumb-ass statements, but that's a complaint to register privately, not publicly.’
- ‘Well my dumb-ass friend told me that my job was here with you and not with him, even when I tried to argue with him.’
- ‘Thanks for marrying my dumb-ass brother and giving me a chance to miss a few classes.’
- ‘And so we buy dumb-ass mink-lined 4x4s instead of pick-ups.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.