One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small African antelope that typically has a tuft of hair between the horns, found mainly in the rainforest.
- ‘Nyika is well known for its wild flowers and birds, also in addition the one park where roan antelope are common, zebra, eland, common duiker, reedbuck, bushbuck, blue monkey and leopard are also present.’
- ‘Animals include duikers, eland and colobus, vervet and blue monkeys.’
- ‘In the centre of the country, the alpine moorland and montane forests of Mt. Kenya and the Aberdares conceal rare bongo antelope, red duiker, suni, bushbuck, Giant forest hog and colobus monkeys.’
- ‘And snares have decimated the local population of Ader's duiker, Africa's most endangered antelope.’
- ‘In this park of 137 sq km area, you will see baboon, colobus and vervet monkeys, duikers, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, hippo, leopard, hyena, zebra and a wide range of antelopes.’
Late 18th century: from South African Dutch, from Dutch, literally ‘diver’, from the antelope's habit of plunging through bushes when pursued; related to duck.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.