Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the western US) a cattle ranch converted to a vacation resort for tourists.
- ‘O'Brien died in 1926 and his wife converted the ranch into a dude ranch.’
- ‘There's a dude ranch available for every kind of guest, and accommodations are as primitive, or posh, as the vacationer is looking for.’
- ‘Later the 30-acre property became a dude ranch for movie stars and the sixteen rooms housed such luminaries as John Wayne, Rock Hudson, and Katherine Hepburn.’
- ‘At a Texas dude ranch, you can enjoy horseback riding, beautiful scenery, home-cooked meals, steaks grilled over an open fire, and live entertainment.’
- ‘Last year she used that information to reward the hardworking Mayrose with a weekend getaway at a dude ranch that included several rounds of golf.’
- ‘‘It's not a dude ranch,’ explains Karen Searle as she serves up blueberry cobbler.’
- ‘Sometimes people show up expecting a fancy dude ranch, and on the first day they wear their clean white britches and tall boots with spurs.’
- ‘The Mackay Bar, a fly-in dude ranch, was just three miles down the river.’
- ‘There are, of course, more modern reasons to spend time at a dude ranch.’
- ‘Their food is unbelievable… it's like eating in a really ritzy restaurant, but you're at a dude ranch.’
- ‘After operating the dude ranch for forty-nine years, the Gleasons sold their two-thousand-acre property to the Nature Conservancy in 1979.’
- ‘I'd love to spend a week on a dude ranch in America, camping under the stars.’
- ‘During her vacations, she cruised along the St. Lawrence Seaway and visited a dude ranch in Wyoming.’
- ‘As far as dude ranches go, this is the best - a huge log lodge situated in the mountains with cabins scattered around a lake.’
- ‘The dude ranch, 35 miles northwest of Santa Barbara, offers a full children's program, including horseback riding, a petting zoo and lakeside activities.’
- ‘Others congregated in dude ranches or rustic lodges, on houseboats, in tents - even in covered wagons.’
- ‘Owning a dude ranch means never having to say, ‘There's no room to do that.’’
- ‘At a dude ranch, couples can enjoy a romantic getaway, singles can meet new people, and families can bond with nature, and each other.’
- ‘However you are seeking to spend a vacation, Montana dude ranches can provide it.’
- ‘Visitors come and pay for access to a particular slice of rural life, be it a park, a dude ranch, or a historic mining camp.’
dude ranch/ˈdo͞od ˌranCH/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.