One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the western US) a cattle ranch converted to a vacation resort for tourists.
- ‘There's a dude ranch available for every kind of guest, and accommodations are as primitive, or posh, as the vacationer is looking for.’
- ‘The Mackay Bar, a fly-in dude ranch, was just three miles down the river.’
- ‘Later the 30-acre property became a dude ranch for movie stars and the sixteen rooms housed such luminaries as John Wayne, Rock Hudson, and Katherine Hepburn.’
- ‘The dude ranch, 35 miles northwest of Santa Barbara, offers a full children's program, including horseback riding, a petting zoo and lakeside activities.’
- ‘As far as dude ranches go, this is the best - a huge log lodge situated in the mountains with cabins scattered around a lake.’
- ‘O'Brien died in 1926 and his wife converted the ranch into a dude ranch.’
- ‘Visitors come and pay for access to a particular slice of rural life, be it a park, a dude ranch, or a historic mining camp.’
- ‘There are, of course, more modern reasons to spend time at a dude ranch.’
- ‘During her vacations, she cruised along the St. Lawrence Seaway and visited a dude ranch in Wyoming.’
- ‘‘It's not a dude ranch,’ explains Karen Searle as she serves up blueberry cobbler.’
- ‘Their food is unbelievable… it's like eating in a really ritzy restaurant, but you're at a dude ranch.’
- ‘Owning a dude ranch means never having to say, ‘There's no room to do that.’’
- ‘However you are seeking to spend a vacation, Montana dude ranches can provide it.’
- ‘Last year she used that information to reward the hardworking Mayrose with a weekend getaway at a dude ranch that included several rounds of golf.’
- ‘At a dude ranch, couples can enjoy a romantic getaway, singles can meet new people, and families can bond with nature, and each other.’
- ‘After operating the dude ranch for forty-nine years, the Gleasons sold their two-thousand-acre property to the Nature Conservancy in 1979.’
- ‘Others congregated in dude ranches or rustic lodges, on houseboats, in tents - even in covered wagons.’
- ‘Sometimes people show up expecting a fancy dude ranch, and on the first day they wear their clean white britches and tall boots with spurs.’
- ‘At a Texas dude ranch, you can enjoy horseback riding, beautiful scenery, home-cooked meals, steaks grilled over an open fire, and live entertainment.’
- ‘I'd love to spend a week on a dude ranch in America, camping under the stars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.