One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the western US) a cattle ranch converted to a vacation resort for tourists.
- ‘Others congregated in dude ranches or rustic lodges, on houseboats, in tents - even in covered wagons.’
- ‘At a Texas dude ranch, you can enjoy horseback riding, beautiful scenery, home-cooked meals, steaks grilled over an open fire, and live entertainment.’
- ‘There's a dude ranch available for every kind of guest, and accommodations are as primitive, or posh, as the vacationer is looking for.’
- ‘After operating the dude ranch for forty-nine years, the Gleasons sold their two-thousand-acre property to the Nature Conservancy in 1979.’
- ‘As far as dude ranches go, this is the best - a huge log lodge situated in the mountains with cabins scattered around a lake.’
- ‘O'Brien died in 1926 and his wife converted the ranch into a dude ranch.’
- ‘At a dude ranch, couples can enjoy a romantic getaway, singles can meet new people, and families can bond with nature, and each other.’
- ‘Sometimes people show up expecting a fancy dude ranch, and on the first day they wear their clean white britches and tall boots with spurs.’
- ‘There are, of course, more modern reasons to spend time at a dude ranch.’
- ‘The Mackay Bar, a fly-in dude ranch, was just three miles down the river.’
- ‘The dude ranch, 35 miles northwest of Santa Barbara, offers a full children's program, including horseback riding, a petting zoo and lakeside activities.’
- ‘Their food is unbelievable… it's like eating in a really ritzy restaurant, but you're at a dude ranch.’
- ‘During her vacations, she cruised along the St. Lawrence Seaway and visited a dude ranch in Wyoming.’
- ‘Visitors come and pay for access to a particular slice of rural life, be it a park, a dude ranch, or a historic mining camp.’
- ‘Owning a dude ranch means never having to say, ‘There's no room to do that.’’
- ‘‘It's not a dude ranch,’ explains Karen Searle as she serves up blueberry cobbler.’
- ‘Last year she used that information to reward the hardworking Mayrose with a weekend getaway at a dude ranch that included several rounds of golf.’
- ‘I'd love to spend a week on a dude ranch in America, camping under the stars.’
- ‘However you are seeking to spend a vacation, Montana dude ranches can provide it.’
- ‘Later the 30-acre property became a dude ranch for movie stars and the sixteen rooms housed such luminaries as John Wayne, Rock Hudson, and Katherine Hepburn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.