One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Strong cloth-backed waterproof adhesive tape.
- ‘If you're using frames made of wood, you can try taping the nylon with duct tape, or nailing it on.’
- ‘It was much easier to just get a new plate than it was to try to fix the one with duct tape, though in theory it should have worked.’
- ‘Some of the supporting duct tape had melted and stretched, requiring replacement.’
- ‘Strap duct tape over the mesh portion on the toe for better wind insulation.’
- ‘When working in the field, stick a strip of duct tape to your pants.’
- ‘He was restrained with what looked like duct tape and was now kneeling beside me.’
- ‘Give a person a wrench, a hammer, and some duct tape, and you'd be surprised what can get fixed.’
- ‘Among the biggest concerns was whether the astronauts had duct tape, Smylie said.’
- ‘Then on top of that, I laid a fresh bandage pad on it, and taped that down with duct tape as well.’
- ‘As a wise man once said, true mountaineering only really requires duct tape and a plane ticket.’
- ‘I also have a new hobby of backing my car into trees and then taping the trunk down with duct tape.’
- ‘John looked inside and found a rusty screwdriver taped to the inside wall with duct tape.’
- ‘The tests show blonde hair stuck to a piece of duct tape found on a beach does not belong to the missing girl.’
- ‘And how did we know it would involve large quantities of duct tape?’
- ‘It turned out that he did know how to fix a broken pipe: use waterproof duct tape.’
- ‘Secure the hose to the drain pipe with duct tape to prevent it from coming out.’
- ‘Both riders have ragged squares of duct tape on their feet: waterproof blister bandages.’
- ‘Parents were told to cover the wart with a piece of duct tape for six days.’
- ‘She handed her shoelaces to the nurse and the nurse, in return gave her two pieces of duct tape to hold her shoes on.’
- ‘Lacey turned around and darted for the coffee table and grasped a reel of duct tape, holding it up in her hand.’
1970s: originally used for repairing leaks in ducted ventilation and heating systems.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.