An oil that thickens or hardens on exposure to air, especially one used by artists in mixing paint.
- ‘He had similarly sought further reductions in tariffs on wool, coal, wheat, apples, macadamia nuts, sultanas, wine, and specialized drying oils.’
- ‘To help prevent nicks, try a silicone-based spray or drying oil like Essie Quick-e Drying Drops.’
- ‘Water-repellent preservatives are mixtures of a solvent such as mineral spirits or other paint thinners, wax, a resin or drying oil and a wood preservative.’
- ‘It was reported that Aetius Amidenus, a medical writer in the 5th century, mentioned the use of a drying oil as a varnish on paintings.’
- ‘The gold leaf is laid over an oil-based adhesive, essentially oil paint consisting of a drying oil and pigment.’