One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an alcoholic) abstain from alcoholic drink, especially as part of a detoxification program.‘he intends to dry out and get his life back together again’
give up drinking, give up alcohol, become teetotal, overcome alcoholism, take the pledgeView synonyms
- ‘Billy's lawyer alleges that Iris has a drink problem, while her lawyer claims that he had spent three weeks in a monastery drying out.’
- ‘He was a lost soul with illusions, endlessly drying out from drugs and then going back on them.’
- ‘Apparently she's drying out in a hospital somewhere.’
- ‘I have every intention of drying out enough to get back to work on the novel by Friday.’
- ‘It's the additional bottle of schnapps for the alky who should be drying out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.