One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cough not accompanied by phlegm production.
- ‘Graham is well over it, though he is left with one of those dry coughs that threatens to last the winter through.’
- ‘These are helpful, especially if a dry cough is present.’
- ‘Two months prior to evaluation, she developed an upper respiratory infection with a dry cough.’
- ‘This was associated with a crackling sensation in her left ear, a post nasal drip and a dry cough.’
- ‘Take cough medicine to soothe a ticklish dry cough.’
- ‘Side-effects can include a persistent dry cough, low blood pressure and faintness.’
- ‘‘Good, good’, the old man said, interrupted by a dry cough.’
- ‘They can include hoarseness, sore throat, headache, fever, and a dry cough, which can be persistent.’
- ‘Common symptoms of the flu include headache, chills, a dry cough, aches and fever and a sore throat.’
- ‘A child with flu is likely to have symptoms including an abrupt onset of fever, shivering, headache, muscle ache and a dry cough.’
- ‘After 2 to 7 days, SARS patients may develop a dry cough.’
- ‘The patient had occasionally observed a dry cough, without shortness of breath or fatigue for years.’
- ‘There is often a loss of appetite, nausea and a harsh dry cough.’
- ‘Doctors say bird flu in humans looks similar to common flu, with high fever, sore throat and a dry cough that can deteriorate into severe respiratory problems.’
- ‘You'll probably feel weak and tired, and have a fever, dry cough, runny nose, chills, muscle aches, severe headache, eye pain, and a sore throat.’
- ‘There is usually an abrupt onset of high fever, chills, dry cough, headache, myalgia, and prostration.’
- ‘They said the breakthrough was the first step towards developing a test to diagnose the illness which begins with high fever, breathing difficulties and a dry cough.’
- ‘Such herbs would be reserved for dry coughs.’
- ‘They all have a dry cough, difficulty breathing, a general feeling of unwellness, headache and evidence of poor oxygenation of tissues.’
- ‘You may begin with a dry cough, then produce phlegm as the cold progresses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.