One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric battery consisting of one or more dry cells.
- ‘Wrought zinc has chemical characteristics particularly adapted to certain uses, such as dry batteries and photoengraver's plate, and offers combinations of desirable physical and mechanical properties at relatively low cost.’
- ‘First, the schools needed to buy dry batteries, which in some cases they could not afford.’
- ‘For instance, not until operational research scientists in Australia investigated the effect of a tropical climate on the operational life of dry batteries was the constant failure of radios in the New Guinea campaign eradicated.’
- ‘It works just as well, providing season-long protection on one 9-volt dry battery.’
- ‘Each set had a dry battery as well and they only lasted in a short period.’
- ‘The program is in the development stage, but is expected to focus initially on wiring devices, dry batteries, circuit breakers, and wire.’
- ‘The radio was very important and it ran on a dry battery; every time the battery ran out they had to go and get a new one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.