One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounusually one's druthers
A person's preference in a matter.‘if I had my druthers, I would prefer to be a writer’
favourite, first choice, top of the list, choice, selection, pickView synonyms
- ‘If I had my druthers, I'd tell the whole world about your dirty little secret.’
- ‘As a purist in his own right, Sparky has his own thoughts on what pool would encompass if he had his druthers.’
- ‘He knows he's not necessarily the one Steve would have cast if he had his druthers.’
- ‘Something really, really bad happened to me, something that changed my life in ways that, if I had my druthers, it would never have been changed at all.’
- ‘So while I respect the fact that journalists have a job to do, if I had my druthers, it wouldn't involve me.’
- ‘If I had my druthers, that is how we would have gone about fighting the war.’
- ‘Given my druthers I'd re-edit episode 1, for that matter, but that won't happen.’
- ‘If I had my druthers, the whole service would still be in Latin.’
- ‘We have two small dogs that, if they had their druthers, would dance, sing, and be merry up to their ears in kitty litter (and the gross sundries found therein).’
- ‘But every traveler has different priorities, and my druthers may not be yours.’
- ‘If I had my druthers, I'd go back in time to Baltimore and take that stupid flag down myself.’
- ‘I'll take ‘Message In a Bottle’ or ‘Stand or Fall,’ given my druthers.’
- ‘If I had my druthers children would learn cross country ski skills before alpine.’
- ‘As for the future, if Guru had his druthers, aside from making music, he'd like to start making films and expand on the culture.’
- ‘He once told me that he would not necessarily have been a sovereign prince of Monaco had he had his druthers.’
- ‘You have to be flexible, but if you had your druthers which would you choose?’
- ‘Given my druthers, I'd choose being female any day over the alternative.’
- ‘As the story goes, if Harvey Weinstein had his druthers, there would have been at least one more.’
- ‘Actually, if I had my druthers, I'd totally legalise drugs.’
- ‘If Hirsh has his druthers, he'll shoot another five seasons of Naked Josh and buy a shack here.’
Rather; by preference.
Late 19th century: from a US regional pronunciation of I'd rather, contraction of would rather.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.