One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being intoxicated; intoxication.‘a growing problem of drunkenness’
intoxication, inebriation, insobriety, tipsinessView synonyms
- ‘Wine will not help; this is New York, where daytime drunkenness is frowned upon.’
- ‘Drinking tends to take place outside the family unit and drunkenness in pubs is often tolerated, even expected.’
- ‘He said that one of the reasons for a rise in drunkenness was that people no longer checked the strength, or measurement, of their drinks.’
- ‘The crazy drunkenness that had already ensued and carried into the night ended what would be a momentous week for many.’
- ‘They all have an effect on the way we live our lives, and one of those effects is a drinking culture which reduces pleasure to drunkenness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.