One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rapid succession of beats sounded on a drum, often used to introduce an announcement or event.
- ‘As a kid I thought the blade came down after the drum roll.’
- ‘But Williamson, who admits to feeling like a gladiator walking into the ancient stadium to the accompaniment of a drum roll, is determined to do better than her ninth place four years ago and has her sights trained on a medal.’
- ‘He takes a live clip of a drum roll and chops it into a stiff, electro-funk cadence.’
- ‘Suddenly, a drum roll was heard along with the striking of drumsticks on cymbals.’
- ‘The tone is set right from the outset, as we hear a martial-sounding drum roll over the credits.’
- ‘So, let's get a drum roll going and announce the winners.’
- ‘A band drummer stood behind the veteran reading, to give a drum roll after each name was called out.’
- ‘Carlow hearts thumped in time with the drum roll as six shining envelopes were brought to the stage at the Brandon Hotel, each containing just one name.’
- ‘Still, the drum roll turns out to be rather a long one.’
- ‘The Jumbo Queen throne is rolled out onto the stage, and a drum roll builds to a crescendo.’
- ‘The drum roll lasted longer on this one and the suspense was maddening.’
- ‘I hear the drum roll, and she quickly opens the envelope.’
- ‘Each of them held a card in their hands, and with a drum roll, Mrs. Livingston announced the Prom Princes.’
- ‘While this is going on the drums skitter across the snares, almost at the pace of a drum roll, but a bit slower.’
- ‘The laying of the wreathes was done by name and followed by ‘Amazing Grace ‘on the bagpipes, a drum roll and a salute on the trumpet.’
- ‘They reached their instruments and the drummer gave a drum roll to signify that they were ready.’
- ‘I incorporate a drum roll to make things interesting.’
- ‘The drum roll started, the audience held their collective breath.’
- ‘Suddenly I heard a drum roll come from right near me, out of the speakers I had erected that afternoon.’
- ‘A drum roll echoed throughout the park as the first words of the song came out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.