Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rapid succession of beats sounded on a drum, often used to introduce an announcement or event.
- ‘The Jumbo Queen throne is rolled out onto the stage, and a drum roll builds to a crescendo.’
- ‘He takes a live clip of a drum roll and chops it into a stiff, electro-funk cadence.’
- ‘The drum roll started, the audience held their collective breath.’
- ‘I hear the drum roll, and she quickly opens the envelope.’
- ‘As a kid I thought the blade came down after the drum roll.’
- ‘Suddenly, a drum roll was heard along with the striking of drumsticks on cymbals.’
- ‘So, let's get a drum roll going and announce the winners.’
- ‘A band drummer stood behind the veteran reading, to give a drum roll after each name was called out.’
- ‘Each of them held a card in their hands, and with a drum roll, Mrs. Livingston announced the Prom Princes.’
- ‘But Williamson, who admits to feeling like a gladiator walking into the ancient stadium to the accompaniment of a drum roll, is determined to do better than her ninth place four years ago and has her sights trained on a medal.’
- ‘I incorporate a drum roll to make things interesting.’
- ‘They reached their instruments and the drummer gave a drum roll to signify that they were ready.’
- ‘While this is going on the drums skitter across the snares, almost at the pace of a drum roll, but a bit slower.’
- ‘The tone is set right from the outset, as we hear a martial-sounding drum roll over the credits.’
- ‘The laying of the wreathes was done by name and followed by ‘Amazing Grace ‘on the bagpipes, a drum roll and a salute on the trumpet.’
- ‘Still, the drum roll turns out to be rather a long one.’
- ‘Suddenly I heard a drum roll come from right near me, out of the speakers I had erected that afternoon.’
- ‘The drum roll lasted longer on this one and the suspense was maddening.’
- ‘Carlow hearts thumped in time with the drum roll as six shining envelopes were brought to the stage at the Brandon Hotel, each containing just one name.’
- ‘A drum roll echoed throughout the park as the first words of the song came out.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.