One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rapid succession of beats sounded on a drum, often used to introduce an announcement or event.
- ‘So, let's get a drum roll going and announce the winners.’
- ‘A band drummer stood behind the veteran reading, to give a drum roll after each name was called out.’
- ‘Carlow hearts thumped in time with the drum roll as six shining envelopes were brought to the stage at the Brandon Hotel, each containing just one name.’
- ‘Each of them held a card in their hands, and with a drum roll, Mrs. Livingston announced the Prom Princes.’
- ‘A drum roll echoed throughout the park as the first words of the song came out.’
- ‘The drum roll started, the audience held their collective breath.’
- ‘He takes a live clip of a drum roll and chops it into a stiff, electro-funk cadence.’
- ‘I incorporate a drum roll to make things interesting.’
- ‘The laying of the wreathes was done by name and followed by ‘Amazing Grace ‘on the bagpipes, a drum roll and a salute on the trumpet.’
- ‘The drum roll lasted longer on this one and the suspense was maddening.’
- ‘The tone is set right from the outset, as we hear a martial-sounding drum roll over the credits.’
- ‘As a kid I thought the blade came down after the drum roll.’
- ‘Still, the drum roll turns out to be rather a long one.’
- ‘The Jumbo Queen throne is rolled out onto the stage, and a drum roll builds to a crescendo.’
- ‘Suddenly, a drum roll was heard along with the striking of drumsticks on cymbals.’
- ‘I hear the drum roll, and she quickly opens the envelope.’
- ‘They reached their instruments and the drummer gave a drum roll to signify that they were ready.’
- ‘But Williamson, who admits to feeling like a gladiator walking into the ancient stadium to the accompaniment of a drum roll, is determined to do better than her ninth place four years ago and has her sights trained on a medal.’
- ‘While this is going on the drums skitter across the snares, almost at the pace of a drum roll, but a bit slower.’
- ‘Suddenly I heard a drum roll come from right near me, out of the speakers I had erected that afternoon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.