A low oval mound or small hill, typically one of a group, consisting of compacted boulder clay molded by past glacial action.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘It is a land of undulating hills and hollows, dips and drumlins, rivers, inlets, estuaries and lakes, dotted with homes and barns.’
- ‘About 10,000 years ago, boulders and soils trapped beneath retreating ice sheets were moulded into drumlins, and it is believed there is an island for each day of the year.’
- ‘A large interior plateau contains dense forests, thousands of lakes and peat bogs, and rocky infertile soils associated with a glacially modified landscape with numerous drumlins and eskers.’
- ‘Here, a drumlin, an oval mound smooth-sculpted by glaciers, rises to give an uninterrupted panorama of sea, fields and forests from its grassy crown.’
- ‘The drumlins and lush scenery are perfect antidotes to the sight and sound of traffic, litter-strewn pavements and concrete blocks.’
Mid 19th century: probably from drum + -lin from -ling.