Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A programmable electronic device able to imitate the sounds of a drum kit.
- ‘A drum machine generates all beats whilst the threesome swaps keyboard and guitars between them.’
- ‘Other tracks sound like someone messing around with a drum machine, or a synthesizer, or an entire home studio's worth of gear - sketches rather than finished work.’
- ‘Give him a synth and a drum machine and he's content.’
- ‘He repeats a simple three-chord phrase, beneath which he almost imperceptibly alters his drum machine's timbres.’
- ‘They were two men with keyboards, a drum machine, and a guitar.’
- ‘Every penny you raise will be put to good use from £89 for a viola to £140 for a drum machine.’
- ‘They would joke around about getting a drum machine or having me play electronic drums.’
- ‘This task is usually left up to an electronic drum machine.’
- ‘The final track is of particular interest to fans, as it marks the first time that the band has employed a drum machine in their music.’
- ‘There is also the use of a drum machine on ‘Opera Singer’ which detracts even further from the tune.’
- ‘Ironically, the use of the drum machine led to a slight change in timing which made the song all the more amazing.’
- ‘And ‘Waiting For The Sun To Shine’ is far and away the best song, with a straightforward drum machine pulse and fizzing keyboards.’
- ‘I got a job at the Empire State Building, and with the money I was able to buy a drum machine and a sequencer.’
- ‘The mood is a somber one, but the funk still is present in the simplistic drum machine as it shuffles its way towards the end of the seven minute track.’
- ‘Most likely, there's a drum machine accompanying the proceedings with perfect rhythm.’
- ‘He adds great accents and steady rhythm, demonstrating that a human can match a drum machine.’
- ‘It's understandable that having a drum machine in place of other humans has its advantages.’
- ‘Her instruments include piano, electronic keyboard, and a digital drum machine.’
- ‘Considering The Kills are just a duo who rely on guitars and a drum machine, it's easy to assume they have a limited life span.’
- ‘Barely audible vocal tracks are buried beneath drum machine beats and bubbly synthesizers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.