One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high school having a high proportion of students who drop out before completing their course of study.
- ‘They are called dropout factories, and they are the worst of our nation's failing schools.’
- ‘As I was preparing to return from vacation, the Associated Press put out the news that Westinghouse High School was on a list of schools that had been labeled 'dropout factories' because fewer than 60 percent of the students enrolled in them graduated.’
- ‘Florida and South Carolina have the highest percentages; about half the high schools in those states classify as dropout factories.’
- ‘The panel of educators and researchers say one of the key solutions is to focus on those 2,000 dropout factories.’
- ‘"There is no reason that states can't quickly build newer, better, more cost-effective public universities to educate people who are currently stuck in college dropout factories."’
- ‘'The teeming crowd', wrote LA Times columnist Steve Lopez, 'was no surprise given the latest evidence that California's public schools are dropout factories.'’
- ‘A third strategy involves converting a dropout factory into a successful charter school.’
- ‘If you can come to Watts, you can come out from the worst one of the worst dropout factories in the country.’
- ‘Educators say they're worried that dropout factories are becoming vulnerable to privatization.’
- ‘Three out of 10 students don't graduate on time, many of them attending so-called dropout factories.’
- ‘Some of our schools are now nothing less than dropout factories.’
- ‘According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, there are some 2,000 dropout factories in the nation, but some school administrators are trying to turn things around.’
- ‘To do that, federal state and local governments must work together to remake the "dropout factories."’
- ‘Despite attending one LA dropout factory, Reginald will attend the University of Michigan this fall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.