One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A designated area into which troops or supplies are dropped by parachute or in which skydivers land.
- ‘However, it is known that he had an anti-Nazi uncle in Salzburg, who owned land that would have provided an ideal drop zone for the Foxley sniper team.’
- ‘The team of five Red Berets jumped at 6000 feet above the stadium, looking for the red smoke flare billowing up from the field to indicate the drop zone.’
- ‘Sadly, we had given the last of our supplies out at our previous drop zone.’
- ‘After our chutes opened, we would be guided into the drop zone by Woodford, standing with his own radio on the ground.’
- ‘Upon return to Kalaikunda, the banner is dispatched by the aircraft into the special drop zone and taken away for analysis.’
- ‘Despite learning all this, I still eagerly set off to make my second attempt at skydiving, this time going to the drop zone closer to home.’
- ‘He and his comrades were under fire from the moment they left the plane above the drop zone at Ginkel Heath, about eight miles east of Arnhem.’
- ‘This looked to be one of the most popular acts with the crowd, with a definite surge of people towards the drop zone.’
- ‘If the streamer lands one mile south of the drop zone, she jumps one mile north of it.’
- ‘They would fly a few feet over the drop zone and then deploy the cargo using a small drogue parachute.’
- ‘As we slowly glided towards the drop zone, landing softly back on solid ground, I began to wish we could have stayed up for longer, but gravity will not be denied.’
- ‘The whole experience lasted six minutes, from leaving the Hercules to hitting to the ground in, or around, the drop zone marked out in front of the screaming young fans.’
- ‘If you were lucky you landed in the drop zone and made a good rolling fall, then quick-released your parachute before it could drag you and break your neck.’
- ‘Once under canopy, the beginners steered themselves back towards the drop zone before descending gently for a perfect tip-toe landing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.