Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test of the strength of an object, in which it is dropped under standard conditions or a set weight is dropped on it from a given height.
- ‘An instrumented drop test of the intraluminal stapler was conducted and documented using high-speed video.’
- ‘The abuse test had two parts: a drop test and a throw test.’
- ‘In one case, a battery-operated toy lantern failed in a drop test designed to simulate normal usage.’
- ‘Growth of strains on various plates was compared by a drop test.’
- ‘Canada's second entry, the Canadian Arrow, has just completed a drop test from 2400 metres into Lake Ontario.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.