Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An external fuel tank on an aircraft that can be jettisoned when empty.
- ‘Finally, the addition of pylons and drop tanks mitigated the F - 80 and F - 84 bomb load and range limitations.’
- ‘The 150-gallon drop tanks not only limited the Lightning's range, but presented problems during normal flight and especially in combat.’
- ‘It didn't take me too long to visit the web site of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum and see, among the few items exhibited that are not actual airplanes, a drop tank!’
- ‘One other possible mistake in the publication concerns the drop tanks.’
- ‘His first sight of us was when he read the serial number from our centerline drop tank!’
- ‘The F - 35 is not limited to internal fuel only; it can carry 600-gallon external drop tanks for ferry flights or for missions that do not require a stealthy signature.’
- ‘My first order of business was to reduce the asymmetric stores, which consisted of my right drop tank.’
- ‘The centreline and the inner-wing hardpoints can carry drop tanks with a 4,400 kg fuel capacity.’
- ‘The aircraft can carry four MICA missiles, two Magic missiles and three drop tanks simultaneously.’
- ‘After making sure both of my external tanks were transferring, I set the switches to stop, to keep the drop tanks from transferring.’
- ‘With over 700 gallons internally, Bill decided to add two 300-gallon drop tanks for a total fuel load of over 1300 gallons.’
- ‘He supposed that's why he'd had two of his missiles replaced with drop tanks.’
- ‘Two additional drop tanks can be fitted on the inner hardpoints on the wings, each with a capacity of 270 litres.’
- ‘The P - 51 had operated successfully with drop tanks for several months with encouraging results.’
- ‘To compensate, two auxiliary drop tanks were fitted below the centre section.’
- ‘Inbound to Amberley the external drop tanks were jettisoned to reduce the overall weight for what became an uneventful landing.’
- ‘When I manned up, I noticed the left drop tank was only half full.’
- ‘This plane was fitted with fuel drop tanks that gave it far greater mileage in the air.’
- ‘As the plane bottomed out, the drop tanks cleared the runway by less than 20 feet.’
- ‘The other pilots stated that they were still on their first drop tank.’
drop tank/ˈdräp ˌtaNGk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.