One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in tennis or squash) a softly hit shot, usually with backspin, which drops abruptly to the ground.
- ‘The Russian fifth seed wrapped up a comfortable victory with an exquisite drop shot after 71 minutes at Beijing Tennis Center, venue for the 2008 Olympic tournament.’
- ‘As evidence of his grittiness, five times yesterday he followed a drop shot or shots with a birdie or birdies.’
- ‘The latter was able to swat that match-ball away on a tight drop shot, jump-starting her to a 10-8 tally in that game and a swift 6-lead in the fifth.’
- ‘The player should first start with a drop shot, move on to half and then 3/4 smashes, ending with full power smashes.’
- ‘Moya blew a second match point with a backhand drop shot that fell short.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.