Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[attributive] Dropping down or unfolding when required.‘an RV with two drop-down beds’
drop, drop down, plummet, descend, come down, go down, plunge, sink, dive, nosedive, tumble, pitchView synonyms
- ‘But, actually, there used to be a drop-down bar.’
- ‘Behind the drop-down door is room for a spacious, plastic trash container that keeps your daily household waste out of sight and out of mind.’
- ‘There is also a drop-down tailgate, designed to hold weights up to 100 kg.’
- ‘Innovation continues in the boot, where the designers have introduced a split tailgate - ideal for tight town situations - with a glass that hinges like a hatchback and a drop-down lower tailgate with its own storage compartment.’
- ‘A large drop-down screen accommodates the football and rugby fans: go in any night when there's a big match on and plenty of people watching.’
(of a menu) appearing below a menu title when it is selected, and remaining until used or dismissed.Compare with pull-down
- ‘When someone starts typing a request into the search box, a drop-down menu appears with suggestions as to what that person could be looking for.’
- ‘These two-letter commands are accessible from the application's command line and drop-down menus and through small icons that appear above the drawing editor window.’
- ‘You can store settings for multiple Web servers and then select one from a drop-down menu when it's time to upload your files.’
- ‘Each channel group is updated separately and only when you select it from the drop-down menu.’
- ‘You can change colors, desktop backgrounds, even add items to the drop-down menu above the toolbar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.