One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1attributive Dropping down or unfolding when required.‘an RV with two drop-down beds’
drop, drop down, plummet, descend, come down, go down, plunge, sink, dive, nosedive, tumble, pitchView synonyms
- ‘Innovation continues in the boot, where the designers have introduced a split tailgate - ideal for tight town situations - with a glass that hinges like a hatchback and a drop-down lower tailgate with its own storage compartment.’
- ‘But, actually, there used to be a drop-down bar.’
- ‘A large drop-down screen accommodates the football and rugby fans: go in any night when there's a big match on and plenty of people watching.’
- ‘There is also a drop-down tailgate, designed to hold weights up to 100 kg.’
- ‘Behind the drop-down door is room for a spacious, plastic trash container that keeps your daily household waste out of sight and out of mind.’
- 1.1Computing (of a menu) appearing below a menu title when it is selected, and remaining until used or dismissed.Compare with pull-down
- ‘Each channel group is updated separately and only when you select it from the drop-down menu.’
- ‘You can change colors, desktop backgrounds, even add items to the drop-down menu above the toolbar.’
- ‘When someone starts typing a request into the search box, a drop-down menu appears with suggestions as to what that person could be looking for.’
- ‘These two-letter commands are accessible from the application's command line and drop-down menus and through small icons that appear above the drawing editor window.’
- ‘You can store settings for multiple Web servers and then select one from a drop-down menu when it's time to upload your files.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.