One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carnivorous bipedal dinosaur of a late Cretaceous family which included deinonychus and the velociraptors. They had a large slashing claw on each hind foot.
- ‘We know that it is a dromaeosaur, a theropod and relative of Velociraptor.’
- ‘Popular Science reviews the discovery of a well-preserved fossil of the ‘feathered’ dinosaur known as a dromaeosaur.’
- ‘There are also asymmetric flight feathers preserved on the wing and near the hind limbs of a dromaeosaurid.’
- ‘Yes, there was a group of animals called dromaeosaurs which included animals such as Velociraptor.’
- ‘This southern radiation parallels the spread of small theropods such as the dromaeosaurids, or ‘raptors,’ through the Northern Hemisphere during the same time period.’
1970s: from modern Latin Dromaeosauridae, based on Greek dromaios ‘swift-running’ + sauros ‘lizard’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.