One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short road leading from a public road to a house or garage.‘one of the suspects backed a vehicle into the driveway’
- ‘he gardens are planted beside concrete surfaces such as driveways, roads and sidewalks to encourage water to drain into the ground.’
- ‘Watch out for surface drainage when new roads or driveways are constructed in the area.’
- ‘As well as blocking the hospital drive there have been problems with cars blocking the road and parking in the driveways of houses.’
- ‘Start laying your sod along walkways, sidewalks and driveways near your house.’
- ‘On the sloping driveway outside the house, my grandad had parked his red car.’
- ‘My blood is still boiling an hour later when I pull up the driveway to my house.’
- ‘There is a long driveway up to the house from the avenue and there is plenty of off-street parking.’
- ‘The two parts of the property were divided, with separate driveways constructed to either house.’
- ‘Two of the cars were parked off the road in driveways.’
- ‘He points out that many British houses have empty driveways that could be used by others to park in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.