One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short road leading from a public road to a house or garage.‘one of the suspects backed a vehicle into the driveway’
- ‘My blood is still boiling an hour later when I pull up the driveway to my house.’
- ‘As well as blocking the hospital drive there have been problems with cars blocking the road and parking in the driveways of houses.’
- ‘The two parts of the property were divided, with separate driveways constructed to either house.’
- ‘he gardens are planted beside concrete surfaces such as driveways, roads and sidewalks to encourage water to drain into the ground.’
- ‘There is a long driveway up to the house from the avenue and there is plenty of off-street parking.’
- ‘He points out that many British houses have empty driveways that could be used by others to park in.’
- ‘Watch out for surface drainage when new roads or driveways are constructed in the area.’
- ‘Two of the cars were parked off the road in driveways.’
- ‘On the sloping driveway outside the house, my grandad had parked his red car.’
- ‘Start laying your sod along walkways, sidewalks and driveways near your house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.