Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rotating shaft that transmits torque in an engine.
- ‘Also, since there are no transmissions or driveshafts, the engine on a compact excavator powers only hydraulic motors.’
- ‘The list included the driveshaft, rear gear, rear hub, axle, all four brake calipers, all four rotors, all four brake pads, the master cylinders, the brake lines, all four shocks and all four springs.’
- ‘They are followed in quick succession by the center-bearing driveshaft, exhaust system and underbody panels.’
- ‘The trucks have crown and bevel gear sets which are connected to the motors by automotive style driveshafts.’
- ‘Other powertrain enhancements include thin-wall, cast-iron exhaust manifolds, a stronger driveshaft and a new clutch.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.