One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An endless chain with links that engage with toothed wheels in order to transmit power from one shaft to another in an engine or machine tool.
- ‘Despite having to adapt to an unfamiliar bike, Palmer finished a creditable ninth in the first race, but a snapped drive chain led to his retirement in the second race when in seventh place.’
- ‘There's an engine, drive chain and brakes - and a controller called the driver.’
- ‘A hybrid car uses a gasoline engine in conjunction with an electric motor for its drive chain.’
- ‘One of the drive chains jumped the sprocket and the team could not fix it.’
- ‘I got my smock tangled up in the drive chain of our hanging belt one time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.