One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Express one's good wishes for someone by raising one's glass and drinking a small amount.
give someone one's good wishes, wish someone good luck, wish someone joy, drink someone's health, toast, drink to, drink a toast toView synonyms
- ‘I drank their health as they embark on new adventures.’
- ‘Now I shall be able to set myself down, tell my stories, take my glass, and to all those who have patience to listen to my wonderful dream on the Catskill, I'll drink their health.’
- ‘But we drank his health, and the last to drink was Dangerous Dan McGrew.’
- ‘Don't be surprised if a perfect stranger comes over to drink your health - it's just that kind of place.’
- ‘I signed his card and donated money for a present, and drank his health at the pub.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.