One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine tool for drilling holes, set on a fixed stand.
- ‘The machine shop houses 21 lathes, four mills, three drill presses, two sand blasters, three buffers, seven grinders, a planer, two TIG welders and a complete tool room.’
- ‘Drilling for the takedown screw must be done with a milling machine, or at the minimum on a good drill press with a rigid quill.’
- ‘The best instrument to cut these holes is a 1 1/8-inch diameter bit, and the use of a drill press will help ensure accurately placed holes.’
- ‘The weight absorbs the vibration from the drill press allowing the machine to run more smoothly.’
- ‘There were rows and rows of Bridgeport milling machines and Clausen lathes plus some drill presses, broaches and the odd grinder.’
- ‘Clements was born and bred in Mississippi and grew up doubly blessed with a father who not only taught him hunting and fishing, but also how to do metalwork with a welder, drill press and lathe.’
- ‘You'll need a table saw or jigsaw, a sander, a drill press, and about three hours.’
- ‘A drill press is essential for drilling the hole straight.’
- ‘These two knifemakers gave him all the advice and inspiration he needed to get going, and by March, 2000 he bought his first grinder and drill press.’
- ‘She always wanted to be a writer but wound up working pretty much her whole life as a drill press operator, a steel mill worker, and a long-term caregiver for people with Alzheimer's.’
- ‘Over at the drill press the craftsman carefully adjusted the piece of steel sheet, then reached up to grasp the handle, his fingers flexing around the wooden grips.’
- ‘Her job requires her to press a single button on a drill press once per second.’
- ‘In their place are roll-crimp spinning heads designed to be used with an electric hand drill or drill press made by Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading.’
- ‘The drill press wheel design should provide good firming of the seed into the bottom of the seed furrow and firming of the soil around the seed.’
- ‘To this end, he arranges to have hundreds of tractors, computers, drill presses, and other expensive capital goods shipped to their country, and distributed equally among the natives.’
- ‘Some kind of drill press stuck out of every pile of rubble.’
- ‘Is there machinery like an old drill press or maybe an old refrigerator plugged into the same circuit (not necessarily same outlet) as the computer?’
- ‘If you happen to have a drill press in your garage, now is when you should use it.’
- ‘In addition to the belt-driven machines, there is an electric lathe and an electric drill press.’
- ‘And what if the motor causing it to rotate was instead a huge drill press which drove into the ground at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.