One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- literary term for dreary
- ‘I felt decayed, drear, pounded down like a gel-cup, compressed yet empty.’
- ‘They had wrinkles underneath their eyes, drear expressions on their faces.’
- ‘All experience, however harsh and drear, can be integrated into one's personal life.’
- ‘But his angel, the daughter he has come to see, not only receives him with recognition and securing love but then chooses to escape the drear company with him.’
- ‘We woke under dull, drear skies, with a steadily increasing wind accompanied by blasts of sleet as the day wore on.’
- ‘The Narrabeen Sands is at Narrabeen and is drear.’
- ‘Currently, although in good condition, the house and gardens may look a little drear, particularly in the agent's snapshots.’
- ‘But I found it strangely drear and flat with a vastly inflated reputation.’
- ‘I shall endeavour to live through it and will hopefully be as drear as ever within a few hours.’
- ‘There's a photo of us all, sitting among the drear rocks and smiling apprehensively at the camera.’
- ‘This drear December day finds Backword in curmudgeonly mood, barely able to string two words together without an epithet or at least a ‘bah’ or a ‘humbug.’’
- ‘In one of the drear university buildings, they were commissioned to redesign the arts department.’
- ‘It sustains, too, when life itself seems cold and drear.’
- ‘Whether because of the rain, or some sense of corporate foreboding, the offices of Sanderson and Parkes were particularly drear that morning.’
- ‘A lot of time would be spent looking out to a drear sea and overcast sky from one of the numerous shelters on the front.’
- ‘Not all present-day examples of these types are crass and drear, though it has to be admitted that very many are, yet they are often the only public spaces in the deserts of suburbia.’
- ‘Leaving the theatre on that wet and drear Sunday afternoon I realised that America is too vast to feel the liberalising influence of a city like New York.’
Early 17th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.