Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A string in the seam of the material of a garment or a bag, which can be pulled to tighten or close it.
- ‘It also offers thermal lining at the hood, a drawstring hood, and kangaroo pockets.’
- ‘We put on outer jackets and tightened the drawstrings of our hoods.’
- ‘If you want trendier track pants, look for drawstrings in the waistband and/or around your ankles.’
- ‘While cargo is gradually disappearing from pants, drawstrings are still present, either at the waist or the ankles (strictly for casual wear).’
- ‘One style includes a cell-phone pocket; another a drawstring waist.’
- ‘Trousers are loose and tied at the waist with a drawstring.’
- ‘There isn't much to say about loops, buttons, zippers, and drawstrings except that they should be sturdy and long-lasting.’
- ‘After tenderly brushing some of the raggedy red hair out of the little painted face, the girl shoved the toy into the bag as well and pulled the drawstrings tight.’
- ‘It has heat-sealed seams for additional waterproofing, embroiderable front-vented flaps, and concealed shockcord drawstrings at the hood and open bottom hem.’
- ‘You roll off the bed and into the Security Bag, pulling the drawstring closed.’
- ‘His trousers are baggy and have a drawstring at the waist.’
- ‘He then walked towards the pool and jumped in to get over the cold faster, he was a little bit worried his navy blue shorts would come off so he tightened the drawstring.’
- ‘These can be found with detail such as mesh lining, Velcro or snap buttons, and extra detail like a reflective strip, a hood, and toggle drawstrings at the hood or the waist.’
- ‘Good thing you have your linen drawstring pants to wear with your sleeveless T or nice button-down short-sleeve shirt.’
- ‘The goods arrive not in a cookie box, but in an elegant drawstring bag.’
- ‘Make adjusting them easier with a drawstring or an elastic waistband.’
- ‘Another great sleeveless T-shirt style features a drawstring at the neckline.’
- ‘As if choosing a fabric wasn't problematic enough, just think about whether to opt for hems that are ruched, tied with a drawstring or elasticated?’
- ‘Throw a drawstring waistband into the cargo mix and you're left with a pair of linen pants that'll probably be your most comfortable pair.’
- ‘Made of 100% cotton, they feature an elastic drawstring waist and a back pouch pocket.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.