One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A string in the seam of the material of a garment or a bag, which can be pulled to tighten or close it.
- ‘One style includes a cell-phone pocket; another a drawstring waist.’
- ‘We put on outer jackets and tightened the drawstrings of our hoods.’
- ‘It has heat-sealed seams for additional waterproofing, embroiderable front-vented flaps, and concealed shockcord drawstrings at the hood and open bottom hem.’
- ‘These can be found with detail such as mesh lining, Velcro or snap buttons, and extra detail like a reflective strip, a hood, and toggle drawstrings at the hood or the waist.’
- ‘He then walked towards the pool and jumped in to get over the cold faster, he was a little bit worried his navy blue shorts would come off so he tightened the drawstring.’
- ‘There isn't much to say about loops, buttons, zippers, and drawstrings except that they should be sturdy and long-lasting.’
- ‘While cargo is gradually disappearing from pants, drawstrings are still present, either at the waist or the ankles (strictly for casual wear).’
- ‘Throw a drawstring waistband into the cargo mix and you're left with a pair of linen pants that'll probably be your most comfortable pair.’
- ‘You roll off the bed and into the Security Bag, pulling the drawstring closed.’
- ‘Good thing you have your linen drawstring pants to wear with your sleeveless T or nice button-down short-sleeve shirt.’
- ‘Made of 100% cotton, they feature an elastic drawstring waist and a back pouch pocket.’
- ‘After tenderly brushing some of the raggedy red hair out of the little painted face, the girl shoved the toy into the bag as well and pulled the drawstrings tight.’
- ‘His trousers are baggy and have a drawstring at the waist.’
- ‘As if choosing a fabric wasn't problematic enough, just think about whether to opt for hems that are ruched, tied with a drawstring or elasticated?’
- ‘Another great sleeveless T-shirt style features a drawstring at the neckline.’
- ‘If you want trendier track pants, look for drawstrings in the waistband and/or around your ankles.’
- ‘It also offers thermal lining at the hood, a drawstring hood, and kangaroo pockets.’
- ‘Trousers are loose and tied at the waist with a drawstring.’
- ‘Make adjusting them easier with a drawstring or an elastic waistband.’
- ‘The goods arrive not in a cookie box, but in an elegant drawstring bag.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.