One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A string in the seam of the material of a garment or a bag, which can be pulled to tighten or close it.
- ‘There isn't much to say about loops, buttons, zippers, and drawstrings except that they should be sturdy and long-lasting.’
- ‘One style includes a cell-phone pocket; another a drawstring waist.’
- ‘You roll off the bed and into the Security Bag, pulling the drawstring closed.’
- ‘It also offers thermal lining at the hood, a drawstring hood, and kangaroo pockets.’
- ‘He then walked towards the pool and jumped in to get over the cold faster, he was a little bit worried his navy blue shorts would come off so he tightened the drawstring.’
- ‘Throw a drawstring waistband into the cargo mix and you're left with a pair of linen pants that'll probably be your most comfortable pair.’
- ‘Good thing you have your linen drawstring pants to wear with your sleeveless T or nice button-down short-sleeve shirt.’
- ‘The goods arrive not in a cookie box, but in an elegant drawstring bag.’
- ‘We put on outer jackets and tightened the drawstrings of our hoods.’
- ‘Made of 100% cotton, they feature an elastic drawstring waist and a back pouch pocket.’
- ‘Make adjusting them easier with a drawstring or an elastic waistband.’
- ‘Another great sleeveless T-shirt style features a drawstring at the neckline.’
- ‘It has heat-sealed seams for additional waterproofing, embroiderable front-vented flaps, and concealed shockcord drawstrings at the hood and open bottom hem.’
- ‘While cargo is gradually disappearing from pants, drawstrings are still present, either at the waist or the ankles (strictly for casual wear).’
- ‘If you want trendier track pants, look for drawstrings in the waistband and/or around your ankles.’
- ‘His trousers are baggy and have a drawstring at the waist.’
- ‘Trousers are loose and tied at the waist with a drawstring.’
- ‘As if choosing a fabric wasn't problematic enough, just think about whether to opt for hems that are ruched, tied with a drawstring or elasticated?’
- ‘These can be found with detail such as mesh lining, Velcro or snap buttons, and extra detail like a reflective strip, a hood, and toggle drawstrings at the hood or the waist.’
- ‘After tenderly brushing some of the raggedy red hair out of the little painted face, the girl shoved the toy into the bag as well and pulled the drawstrings tight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.