A bridge, especially one over a castle's moat, that is hinged at one end so that it may be raised to prevent people's crossing or to allow vessels to pass under it.
- ‘Their models are forts and castles, moats and drawbridges.’
- ‘The sandbags have been filled, the drawbridge raised and the moat replenished with hungry crocodiles.’
- ‘The drawbridges will be raised and the oil paintings mothballed as workers at historic sites around the country prepare to go on strike.’
- ‘This will create a moat around City Hall's castle with maybe a drawbridge to keep electors out.’
- ‘But homes today don't normally feature ramparts, drawbridges, moats and six-foot thick stone walls to keep out unwanted visitors.’